Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Crested Butte Writers Conference

Sooo not much on my mind these days except starting my new book right and the Crested Butte Writers Conference, which starts in only 10 days!  I'm so excited!  As the date draws nearer, I'm chatting and making last-minute plans with the attending agents and editors, and it's just going to be so much fun and I'm going to learn so much, I can't wait!


I've already read Donald Maass's May release, The Fire in Fiction, and am really looking forward to learning from him.  And his wife, Lisa Rector Maass, is a freelance editor who specializes in . . . ME!  She specializes in sagging middles and in helping experienced writers take that last step in polishing their manuscripts.  Now since I'm middle-aged, it's hardly surprising that the middle of my books would have a tendency to sag also-grin.  


When plotting out a book I always know where my inciting incident is, and all the other major plot points, but it's the middle that I tend to say, "and a bunch of stuff happens here,"  and then when it comes time to write that bunch of stuff, it tends to be filled with . . . something suspiciously resembling stuffing, until I can get to the awesome ending I've planned.  That's the way it goes in earlier drafts at least.  It sure would be nice to skip the stuffing right from the get-go and it'd save me months of rewrites.  So, Lisa, bring it on!  I'm ready to trim that middle before I even get there.


I'm going to learn a ton about my craft and have fun hanging out with really nice people who understand writers--including our agents and editors, and I get to share one of my favorite, most beautiful mountain areas on earth with them!  Don't miss out on this great time.  Hope to see you all there!
Theresa

1 comment:

Donnell said...

T, I'm excited you're happy about the conference. I expect a full report. And you do NOT have a sagging middle, and neither do your books.